The leccione variety hasn't been present in the area of Vodnjan for a long time, but as an introduced variety it has adapted very well to this climate. If early-harvested, it shows all the splendour of its fragrances and taste. The oil is characteristically rich in refined aromas. It is a mild and harmonious oil, very aromatic, with pronounced olive fruitiness. Its taste gives a hint of discreet bitterness of sweet radicchio and chicory, while its scent is dominated by tomatoes and aromatic herbs.
It pairs well with most light dishes, especially seafood, crabs, shellfish and fish, but it also suits pasta and fried dishes, cheeses and the like.
- Region: Istria
- Growing site: Barbariga
- Altitude (MASL): 5 - 10 m
- Production site: Vodnjan Oil Mill
- Type: monovarietal
- Varieties: leccione
- Harvest time: 20. 10. – 30. 10.
- Processing time: several hours after harvest
- Processing method: two-phase continuous cycle
- Processing temperature: 24 - 25 ºC
- Colour: brilliant green
- Food pairing: It pairs well with most light dishes, especially seafood, crabs, shellfish and fish, but it is also a good match for fried dishes, cheeses and the like.